Umbria and neighbouring regions provide sightseeing opportunities to suit all tastes and interests. The geographic location of Montone in central Italy means that guests are never very far away from a large number of places of interest. Whether it is architecture, history, ruins, art or scenery, the interests of visitors will never be disappointed in this part of Italy.
Guests should do some research using one of the many available guide books on Umbria, Tuscany and Marche. There are guidebooks and tourist information pamphlets in the bookcase and visitors' packet which are excellent sources of information.
Shops, markets and supermarkets
There is a greengrocer and butcher (Macelleria) near the main square in Montone. In addition, in the direction of the Corlo valley there is a small food shop (Alimentare) and a baker (Forno). A weekly market is held in the car parking areas by the fortress and in the main square, Piazza Matteotti, in Umbertide every Wednesday morning. Produce includes fresh fruits, vegetables, hams, cheeses and other local specialties.
In Umbertide, the main square and adjoining streets have a variety of shops catering for most needs. English language newspapers can be purchased from about 10:00 am daily either at kiosks in the main square or beside the Station bar on Via Garibaldi.
There are also two supermarkets suitable for larger shopping expeditions:
- Co-op, in the Centro commerciale "Fratta" on Via Rodolfo Morandi. This is a handy little shopping centre with a number of shops, lots of car parking space and a good Pizza al taglio (take away).
- Conad, on Via Martiri della Liberta. This has several shops which include a good fresh pasta shop and delicatessen.
In general, the shops in nearby towns will meet most day to day needs. There is a Hypermarket just off the E45 near Perugia at Colestrada (drive past the turning for Perugia Airport/San Egidio, follow the bend round and take the far right hand lane to the access road for the shopping complex). Facilities include a huge co-op, electronics, clothes and shoe shops as well as restaurants and bars.
There are many excellent restaurants in the local area. The best are listed below, organised by location. There are also many good restaurants worth trying in the wider area. Guests will find cards and directions in the Caicresce visitor's folder as well as on the sightseeing page. Any new restaurant finds or comments that guests would like to add to the visitors' pack for the benefit of other guests would be appreciated.
- Closest Park: Montone 5 minutes away.
- Local Beaches: Lake Trasimeno and Tuoro.
- East coast seaside resorts: Rimini and Fano.
- Umbertide: 10 minutes away.
- Perugia: 25 minutes away.
- Anghiari: 40 mins.
- Citerna and Monterchi - 35 minutes away.
- Sansepolcro - 30 minutes away.
- Gubbio - 25 minutes away.
- Città di Castello - 30 minutes away.
- Cortona - 45 minutes away.
- Spello - 40 minutes away.
- Spoleto - 55 minutes away.
- Todi - 40 minutes away.
- Torgiano - 35 minutes away.
- Arezzo: 55 minutes away.
- Lake Trasimeno area (Passignano): 35 minutes away.
- Montepulciano - 1 hour.
- Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia: 1 hour.
- Assisi and Deruta: 30 minutes away.
- Florence: 1 hour 35 minutes away.
- Rome: 2 hours.
- Siena: 1 hour 25 minutes away.
- Rimini: 2 hours.
- Orvieto: 1 hour 20 minutes away.
- Bologna: 2 hour 30 minutes away.