As the summer draws to a close and the realisation that winter is soon upon us suddenly kicks in, October can be a largely gloomy time of year. But, it doesn’t have to be.
Flee falling British temperatures and head to warmer climates with an October holiday.
Wondering which countries are hot in October? We’ve rounded up our favourite places in Europe and beyond, which make for an attractive autumn escape. Better yet, there are also loads to see and do in these destinations too. Whether you’re holidaying as a family or seeking some early winter sun with your other half, these places to go in October may even make the month feel like the new July…
Cyprus has a lot to offer, making it one of the most popular hot countries in October. From ancient castles to breathtaking beaches, interesting museums and delicious local food, you won’t fall short of activities on the sunny Mediterranean island. If you fancy a night out instead, head to party paradise Ayia Napa.
Weather: Max: 29 degrees (approx.) | Min: 16 degrees (approx.)
- Grab your hiking boots and head to Kykkos Monastery for some seriously impressive views. The building is adorned with gold, silver, brass and bronze, and there’s a museum at the centre that tells you all about the pre-Christian history of the area.
- For the finest white sand you ever did see, Nissi Beach is the place to be. It’s Blue Flag awarded, so you know it’s going to be in tip-top condition. Water babies will love the crystal blue waters and water activities on offer, too.
- The legend goes that if you swim in the waters surrounding Aphrodite’s Rock, you’ll regain your youth and get a drop of good luck too…we’ll certainly be taking a dip then! The perfect place to spend a lazy afternoon.
Where to stay: Paphos is said to be the birthplace of the Greek goddess Aphrodite. So why not discover the rich history and stay in one of our beautiful villas in Aphrodite Hills.
Read more: The Local’s Guide To Authentic Cyprus
Although the peak season is already over, there’s still plenty to do around the Algarve as it’s still one of the hot destinations in October. As it’s harvest season, there are various harvest festivals celebrating a (hopefully) successful season. One of the biggest is Feira de Santa Iria, a religious festival with a long history. You can expect carnival rides, food stalls, and even live music.
Weather: Max: 25 degrees (approx.) | Min: 14 degrees (approx.)
- Take advantage of the cooler temperatures and venture along some of the Algarve’s many walking trails. Visit the stunning Ria Formosa nature reserve or, if you’re feeling really adventurous, hike the mountains of Monchique.
- In October, the Algarve is home to one of the most important golfing tournaments in Europe – the Portugal Masters Golf Tournament. See some of the best players in the world and watch the experts compete for the Masters Title.
- The country’s geography makes surfing in Portugal a popular year-round activity, even during October. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or about to tackle your first wave, the Algarve is the ultimate place to hop on a surfboard.
Where to stay? No matter your travel party size, we have stunning villas available all across the Algarve
Read more: Algarve Travel Guide
3. Bali, Indonesia
Even though the rainy season in Bali hasn’t quite started in October, the rain does occasionally show its face. This not only means that there’ll be fewer tourists, but also that the rice terraces are as green and vegetated as ever. Perfect for that holiday photograph! This makes Bali one of the best hot countries in October to visit.
Weather: Max. 31 degrees (approx.) | Min: 23 degrees (approx.)
- It wouldn’t be a trip to Bali without a visit to one of the famed rice paddies. Our tip is to visit the Jatiluwi rice terraces, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the biggest on the island, spanning over 600 hectares.
- In the peak tourist months, the luxury beach retreat of Seminyak swells with tourists. Thankfully, October is when things start to quieten down a little, meaning you can be pampered and relax in your very own peaceful haven.
- Caught out in a seasonal downpour? Don’t worry – Bali isn’t short of museums and cultural centres, great for escaping the rain. The Blanco Renaissance Museum is one of the most popular, where you can see the works of artist Don Antonio Blanco.
Where to stay? We’ve got a wide variety of villas to rent in Bali, so why not check them out and treat yourself?
Read more: Useful Travel Tips For Bali
Turkey is a country not only with one of the world’s best cuisines (in our opinion!) but also a gateway to both Asia and Europe. While its buzzing capital Istanbul provides you with a more urban flair, the southwest coast offers picturesque coves on the way from Fethiye to Kas. Collect your family and get ready for a road trip to remember.
Weather: Max: 26 degrees (approx.) | Min: 13 degrees (approx.)
- You’ve no doubt seen the fairytale-like images of Cappodocia and the hot air balloons that make the unique landscape even more breathtaking. Well, now’s your chance to turn that dream into a reality. Take to the skies and experience your own fantasy.
- Dip your toes into the mineral-rich hot springs at Pamukkale, once a spa city to the Romans and now a UNESCO world heritage site. The area is also home to some very well-preserved Greek ruins.
- Take home a taste of Turkey and visit the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul. The covered market houses over 85 stalls, each offering up colourful spices, jewellery, nuts, coffee, local Turkish sweets, and much more.
Where to stay? From cottages to villas, check out our beautiful holiday homes in Turkey.
Read more: The 10 Best Beaches in Turkey
Lanzarote can get rather windy, but it’s barely ever cold there. In fact, it’s one of the most popular hot countries in October. There’s a wide choice of sites and attractions to visit for both children and adults, making the island an ideal destination for a family holiday in October.
Weather: Max: 26 degrees (approx.) | Min: 18 degrees (approx.)
- Spend your Sunday morning at the famous Teguise Market, the largest market of all Canary Islands. Market stalls sell handmade goods, clothes, and jewellery. After a wild shopping spree, Playa Garita beach is the perfect spot to recover.
- Lanzarote is known as the Hawaii of Europe, thanks to its epic surf spots. From October, the waves get even bigger and better! Grab your board and take advantage of the low-season lack of crowds – Famara Beach is one popular surfing area.
- Forget four wheels, the best way to get around Lanzarote is via camel. Head towards the southwest of the island and Timanfaya National Park to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime camel ride experience.
Read more: The Local’s Guide to Authentic Lanzarote
Morocco enjoys high temperatures for most of the year, and visiting in October can actually be a more pleasant experience than during the summer months when the heat is far more than us Brits are used to!
Weather: Max: 28 degrees (approx) | Min: 15 degrees (approx)
- Take advantage of the cooler weather and explore the stunning Atlas Mountains. You’ll find various tours and guides wherever you’re staying in Morocco, which are recommended if you want to make the most of the experience and discover more about the diverse terrain and hidden hilltop villages.
- A hugely populated and dense city, Morocco’s capital of Marrakesh can be uncomfortable during the height of the summer. However, October is therefore the ideal time to slowly take your time and stroll the streets of the city, sampling spices, and other traditional wares.
- For a taste of the local culture, head to the Erfoud Date Festival. This three-day festival happens every October in the town of Erfoud and celebrates the end of the date harvest. Thousands of local farmers, producers and tourists attend, making a lively and unique experience.
Where to stay? From traditionally inspired abodes to sleek and modern homes, check out our villas to rent in Morocco now.
Read more: Top Day Trips From Marrakesh
Now you know which countries are hot in October, what’s stopping you from grabbing your holiday journal and getting planning? The late autumn sun is already waiting for you!