Traveling with a family can be challenging – it’s hard to find a destination that suits everyone’s tastes. Staying in a luxury villa is one of the best vacation ideas for teens, as they’ll enjoy all the unique amenities that villas have to offer, and they serve as a great home base for exploring the region. Here are some of our favorite family vacation ideas for families with teenagers.
Set in central Italy, this region is home to some of the world’s most beautiful countryside as well as some of the world’s most sophisticated art. It’s this contrast that makes it an exciting destination for families – there’s so much to do that even the most stubborn teens won’t get bored.
What to do with teens in Tuscany:
- Explore the area’s architecture and art – Michelangelo, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the Duomo Basilica, to name a few.
- Sample truly authentic Italian food in one of the region’s many renowned restaurants.
- Relax on the beaches in Elba, which sit on the shores of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
London is one of the largest, most sophisticated, and most diverse cities, where a rich history meets modern cool. No matter how long your vacation is, there will always be more to see, and you and your teenagers will be longing to go back.
What to do with teens in London:
- Ride the London Eye and take in unparalleled views over the city skyline.
- Immerse yourself in the city’s punk history in Camden.
- Check out one of London’s many free museums, such as the Natural History Museum, Tate Modern and the V&A. Top tip, the Tate Modern hosts ‘Late at the Tate’, mixing music with art after hours.
This Spanish island may be known as a nightlife hotspot, but it’s also a surprisingly great place to travel with teens, who will love the warm weather and lively beaches. While there are plenty of resorts to choose from, staying in a private villa will allow you to enjoy the island’s beauty without the overwhelming nightlife atmosphere. After relaxing on one of the pristine beaches, your whole family will feel completely rejuvenated.
What to do with teens in Ibiza:
- Ride jet skis at the Playa d’en Bossa, the area’s main resort beach.
- Shop the boutiques in Santa Eulalia, a quieter family-oriented resort.
- Explore Ibiza’s medieval ruins and Dalt Vila, the fortified Old Town.
This island country is an often-overlooked Mediterranean destination, but it’s an ideal choice if you’re traveling with teenagers and searching for the perfect beach vacation. It provides an ideal combination of rugged, undeveloped coastline with luxurious resort culture, and there’s plenty of ancient history here that’ll interest curious minds.
What to do with teens in Cyprus:
- Hike, snorkel, or just enjoy the scenery at Cape Greco.
- See ancient history at Tombs of the Kings or Kato Paphos.
- Swim and relax at the gorgeous Nissi Beach.
With dramatic scenery, rich medieval history, and plenty of fascinating lore, it’s hard to beat the appeal of Scotland for a family vacation. Teenagers will love the drama of exploring the area’s many castles, but there’s plenty more to do for the discerning young traveler. Many of the villas here date back several centuries, so you’ll get to enjoy the drama and history even at your accommodation.
What to do with teens in Scotland:
- Tour the many medieval castles and ruins that dot the landscape, such as Balmoral Castle, Castle Tioram, or Dunnottar Castle.
- Hike one of the country’s many notable peaks – Arthur’s Seat, just outside of Edinburgh is a popular one.
- Try your hand at a thrilling outdoor activity such as rafting, kayaking, paddleboarding or abseiling.
Sorrento and Amalfi Coast
These neighboring Italian destinations look like they’ve been pulled straight out of a postcard, with classic Italian architecture perched on cliffs overlooking the sea. Visiting the Amalfi Coast is the perfect way for your family to enjoy a Mediterranean beach vacation combined with the sophisticated art and food you’d expect of an Italian metropolis.
What to do with teens in Sorrento and Amalfi Coast:
- Shop the piazzas, which are full of beautiful handmade goods.
- Hike the Path of Gods, a scenic clifftop trail, or Monte Faito, a small mountain range.
- Tour one of the area’s many historic cathedrals.
Lisbon is the capital city of Portugal and is a growing cultural hotspot. Teens will love strolling through the city’s charming neighborhoods, which are known for their stunning architecture. Beautiful old buildings meet trendy new shops and restaurants for an exciting European experience.
What to do with teens in Lisbon:
- Ride the Ascensor de Bica, a historic cable car that rides up one of Lisbon’s steepest hills between Rua de São Paulo and Largo do Calhariz.
- Take a day or two out to visit Lisbon Coast – colourful Sintra and surf hotspot Cascais should be top of the list!
- Visit the city’s many unique monuments and historical buildings, including Rossio, Padrao de Descobrimentos, and Belem Tower.
Mallorca is a small but stunning Spanish island in the Mediterranean sea. The island’s stunning natural beauty makes the perfect backdrop for its rich culture, which is fascinating and very accessible for families.
What to do with teens in Mallorca:
- Tour the underground Drach Caves – four impressive caves dating back to the Middle Ages. Home to one of the largest underground lakes in the world, Lake Martel, where concerts are performed everyday.
- Visit the scenic Cap de Formentor, with its stunning beaches and cliffs.
- Explore art galleries and historic architecture in Pollensa.
The amazing activities available in these destinations offer some of the best family vacation ideas for those with teenagers. If you’re looking for the perfect vacation villa, don’t hesitate to contact our concierge team so we can help you find the ideal choice for your family.