Got an exciting holiday to Europe on the agenda when the world goes back to normal? We’ve pulled together a handy checklist of information, advice and Government links related to post-Brexit travel. 

What Brexit means for travel

In a way, the chaos of the pandemic overshadowed the Brexit transition as our minds have been – understandably – hijacked by everything Covid related. As of the 1st January 2021, Brexit came into place meaning that if you’re considering travel to EU countries you may need to consider extra preparations before you go on holiday.

How will Brexit affect travel to Ireland?

Travel to Ireland will remain the same as it was pre-Brexit – this is the same as travelling for work/working.

Border control after Brexit

You may need to show an onward or return ticket, show you have enough money for your stay and queue for passport control in a separate lane.

Passports after Brexit

An arrangement of Euro notes, coins, passport and compass on slate.

Your EU passport will still be valid until it expires, and when you get a new one it’ll be a UK passport. In terms of your holiday, you’ll need to make sure your passport is valid for the duration of your stay, sometimes with 6 months left on it.

Will visas be needed after Brexit?

You don’t need a visa if you’re a tourist and staying up to 90 days in a 180-day period (the 90 days applies to all countries as a group, the ‘Schengen Area‘) – check your specific country requirements if you plan on staying longer as you’ll most likely need a visa. Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania have their own 90-day limits, separate to the Schengen Area.

Healthcare insurance after Brexit

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card will be valid for healthcare if travelling to an EU country. And you can get emergency healthcare in Norway with your UK passport. The EHIC will only remain in place while your card is valid – once your card expires, you’ll no longer be able to use it and will need to apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). EHIC doesn’t work for healthcare in Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland so you’ll have to get appropriate healthcare insurance. There are some exceptions though – see if you can apply for a new EHIC card via this link.

Make sure that you have appropriate healthcare insurance for your trip, regardless of the EHIC/GHIC etc as this doesn’t necessarily guarantee free healthcare, and doesn’t include certain things like being transported home if you fall ill while abroad – you don’t want to be caught out with a large bill while you’re away!

Will Brexit affect travel insurance?

happy kids -boy and girl- enjoy packing and travel, family going on vacation

You’ll need to take out travel insurance for the above healthcare reasons, and also for instances that insurance is usually taken out for – airline failure, if companies you’re using go into administration, Covid protection etc.

Will my pet passport be valid after Brexit?

beautiful dog of dachshund, black and tan, buried in the sand at the beach sea on summer vacation holidays, wearing red sunglasses

No, this pet passport scheme is no longer in place. You’ll now need an Animal Health Certificate instead – allow up to a month to get everything arranged. Need more info? Check out our blog on pet-friendly holiday tips.

Can I take produce into EU countries after Brexit?

You can’t take meat or dairy products into the EU, and if you want to take fruit, veg and plants you’ll need to pay to have them inspected before travelling with the relevant certificate. 

Driving while on holiday

Causeway Costal Route with cars, a.k.a. Antrim Coastal Road on eastern coast of Northern Ireland, UK.

Taking your own car? Make sure you have a green card and a GB sticker. Some countries will require an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive – most EU countries do not, however it is best to check with the embassy of the country you’re visiting. 

If you have a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man you may need an IDP for Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic (just for Isle of Man licences), France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Malta, and Norway. Some countries may require IDP’s for stays longer than 30 days – check the embassy of the country you’re visiting for more information. 

Free mobile roaming while on holiday in the EU

You’re no longer entitled to free mobile roaming – check with your phone operator.

Useful links for Brexit travel advice:

book with confidence covid guarantee

Liked that? Follow, like or share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.