As the double wooden doors close under the stone arch entrance into the grand front hall you are greeted by a rare 1895 Steinway and, in the winter, by a roaring fire in an original fireplace, a feature of many rooms around the house.
Through the door to the left, walk past the full size antique billiards table and another fireplace, and you will reach the Salon D’Hiver, beyond which, you will reach the fully specified study. While the whole house has Wi-Fi, if you cannot completely leave work behind, this is a quiet spot for checking up on the office. Along the internal corridor, straight ahead from the entrance hall you will pass the old stone stairs on your right, and a downstairs bedroom and bathroom especially useful for the older of our guests. Further along, past a small anteroom (very useful if you would like to keep a close eye on a young child during dinner) you will find, looking out over pollarded plane trees, the banqueting table for 20 adults set under the hanging candelabra, with another fireplace to keep dinners warm, although, with under floor heating in many rooms, the lovely fires stoked with wood from the forest are not always necessary. Leaving the dining room through the double doors on to the breakfast terrace you will find a solid stone patio, table and benches perfectly matching the original limestone and capturing the sun to warm, waking guests gently over fresh croissants.
Leaving the dining room, to the right you will pass by the passage leading down to the mediaeval vaulted wine cellars equipped with air conditioning and oak racking created by a local master carpenter. This is a fully stocked cellar and a great space for wine tasting, it will definitely get you in the mood for trying the famous Quercy black wine. The cellar is also well stocked with Champagne, Bordeaux and Burgundy, with many famous names and vintages available to guests. The housekeeper has the list and this can be sent by email on request.
The kitchen is fully equipped with a Le Cornu range with 6 hobs - 4 gas and 2 electric. While this cooker is the choice of professional French chefs, it is perfect to for an enthusiastic amateur. It also offers a large hot plate for woks and simmering 4 saucepans. There are two large oven - a gas and electric, microwave, fridge, 2 dishwashers a prep sink and a large stone sink. The air conditioned cellar offers additional storage for food. The kitchen is ideal for cater for parties or events.
On the other side of the kitchen from the breakfast terrace, is the lunch table under a leafy pagoda with an integral cooling misting system allowing even the hottest of afternoons to be shared over lunch.
Perhaps, leaving the best to last, beyond the kitchen, is the Salon D’Ete, a converted barn with an amazing timbered oak supported roof, 6 sets of French windows leading out to the gardens and both terraces and a wonderful picture window, framing the plane tree avenue in the gardens.
Wi-Fi and SONOS zones cover most of the area downstairs. If you have your own collection of music on an iPod or similar, this can be added to the music collection in the Residence and accessed from each zone either separately or as a whole
There are ten guest bedrooms, all have en-suite bathrooms with lots of fluffy white towels, soap and slippers for that extra bit of luxury and comfort and all the beds have crisp white Egyptian linen. If you have any special requests e.g. Feather pillows or synthetic pillows we will be happy to accommodate you. Each of the bedrooms is provided with bottled water, although the tap water is completely drinkable too. All rooms have hairdryers.
In Domaine Fabrige, the bedrooms are located upstairs off the large hallway.
- Master suite – Super king bed 2 bathrooms and 2 dressing rooms!
- Cream bedroom – Large super king bed.
- Blue bedroom – A delightful room with dual aspect. The smallest of all the bedrooms but the most popular room!
- Sunflower Room – Extremely large bedroom with a super king bed with canopy. It has a small bed in the dressing room ideal for children.
- Triple Bedroom – Perfect for kids in a dorm situation! – This has three beds in it.
- Red Bedroom – Another dual aspect room with a king size bed with canopy, a romantic room. This is a very comfortable room for anyone that may not be able to manage the stairs and is well separated from the downstairs reception rooms.
A stone’s throw from Domaine Fabrige is Le Grange with four double newly refurbished bedrooms:
- Moulin – Beautiful en suite bedroom, comprising of a double bed. The bathroom has a shower and a roll top bath and double vanity unit.
- Magnolia – Beautiful en-suite room with a super king bed and a bathroom with a roll top bath and shower. This also has a double vanity unit.
- Jardin – A twin room, perfect for friends sharing or children. This has an en suite bathroom with a shower in it. It has French windows that open onto the garden.
- Feu – Beautiful bedroom with en suite king size bed, opening onto the garden via French doors.
In the grounds, as you walk through the well attended gardens you will find two fenced ponds, vegetable and herb gardens.
The all weather hard tennis court installed, with a practice wall, in 2012, is well away from the house having its own pavilion. The court is floodlit allowing guests to play during the cooler hours of the Summer months.
The swimming pool is a stunning construction of Quercy stone. At 15m in length, it is perfect for swimming lengths and playing children, who love the small stone waterfall that rises from one end. Built from the remains of a ruined local chapel and with a terracotta, tiled roof supported by huge oak beams, there is a shaded bar and seating area with an adjoining shower and loo. Around the pool, there are all weather wicker loungers lying beneath a discrete misting system that can be controlled from the bar, so you can maximize your time in the sun sipping your cocktails.
There is a large wood on the property, where adventurous children can explore or even pitch a tent for the night.
The large flat lawn area is perfect for kicking around a football and other family and children activities. The garden also provides a children’s play area with swings, slides, trampoline and playhouse.
All outside areas are served with a sonos music system so that you can enjoy the music of your choice.
Parking is to the rear of the property, all vehicles out of sight. Once you arrive you will not feel the need to leave. There is ample space for all residents and visitors.
There are large terraces. To the east of the kitchen where the sun rises and sets, it is wonderful, enjoying a coffee and a croissant, looking over the rolling hills and through the avenue of Plane trees. Another terrace is perfect for lunch with a table large enough to accommodate all guests and children. BBQ’s can be arranged here for lunch or dinner. It is shaded and also offers the misting system! This is also where canapés and drinks can be served of an evening where there is further soft seating, overlooking the pool area and tennis court.
- Heated Swimming Pool – May until September
- Tennis court – Floodlit
- All bedrooms en-suite
- Ground Floor bedrooms
- Internet Access
- Extensive cellared wine and Wine tasting – Wine list available to purchase
- Internet Access
- Staffed – Chef extra cost
- Snooker Room
- Games Room
- Table Football – championship specification table
- Table Tennis
- TV room with Sky and Apple TV 1080, use your own content
- Sonos for the main receptions rooms, outside dining areas, pool area and even in the pool – bring your own iPod and fill the house and grounds with your music
- Cooling misting jets at the outside lunch table and over the loungers in the pool area
- Outside bar with fridge and ice
- Trampoline and climbing frame
- Gas and coal barbeque.