If you’re heading to one of our villas in the Algarve, not only will you enjoy the stunning accommodation with friends and family – but also the region is overflowing with delicious things to eat, and with our list of the best foodie experiences in Algarve you should be able to find them quicker.
When it’s time to impress with Portuguese Cuisine, there’s only one recipe you need and it comes from Ocean Restaurant in Algarve. Boasting two Michelin stars, the name might give you a bit of a clue as to what kind of food is on offer, but the sumptuous preparation and indulgent menus are something that’s really worth savouring.
Here’s the Chicken Piri-Piri & Algarve Tomato Salad Recipe:
15 chicken legs
50 ml olive oil
200 g Piri-Piri peppers (weight depending on spiciness)
100 g smoked bell pepper powder
1 x garlic bulb
5 x laurel leaves
5 x shallots
Chicken Roulade – Method:
- Marinate the chicken legs for 3-4 hours.
- How to prepare the marinade: add paprika, Tabasco, liquid Piri-Piri, salt, pepper, Piment d´Espelette, sugar and thin sliced garlic with chicken broth and a bit of olive oil.
- After marinating, grill the chicken legs on a low temperature until light golden.
- Remove the chicken from the grill to an oven tray, add the shallots cut in half and the laurel leaves. Cook in the oven until done.
- Leave the meat to rest for one hour, then take the skin off the chicken.
- Cut the skin in small cubes and then add the cubes in the frying pan to cook until nicely crisp.
- Cut the remaining meat in slightly bigger cubes.
- Mix the stock left from cooking the meat in the over with some chicken broth.
- Then add, per 100 g of stock – one gelatin slice and 0,5g Agar powder. Mix all well with the meat.
- Then using plastic film roll up the meat, forming rolls of approximately 2 cm diameter
- Serve the tomato salad as a bed for the rest of the ingredients (see the image)
- Cut the chicken roulade in 1 cm pieces and fix them between the two chicken skins
- Garnish with aioli and oregano
- If you want to push your skills to the next level fill the middle with tomato foam
Algarvean Tomato Salad – Method:
- Peel the tomatoes
- Cut in thin slices the 1-2 shallots and the tomatoes
- Season with sea salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil